How far can teach.Rural take you?
Rural and remote NSW has so much to offer, including great schools in 33 destinations across NSW where you could enhance your career, receive a range of incentives and benefits and make a real difference.
From 2017 the department has been implementing its Rural & Remote Strategy, with the aim of attracting the best and brightest teachers to some of the most remote parts of NSW. The final piece of the strategy includes two significant additions to the attractive range of incentives and professional benefits already on offer.
Benefits vary from school to school, but may include:
- a new Rural Teacher Incentive of between $20,000 and $30,000 gross per annum
- a new Experienced Teacher Benefit of $10,000 gross for a maximum of five years
- annual retention benefit of $5,000 gross for a maximum of ten years
- rental subsidy of 50% at 4 point incentive schools
- additional personal leave and professional development days
- locality allowances
- transfer points.
Find out about the benefits and incentives that may be available to both temporary and permanent teachers and executive staff at individual schools.
Explore rural and remote destinations
Destinations offering special incentives
Maximise your employment opportunities
Indicate that you are willing to teach in rural and remote locations of the state in your application for employment as a teacher in NSW public schools and maximise your opportunities for employment.
Approved teachers, you can change your preferences for where you are willing to teach at any time by emailing the department's teacher approvals team via email@example.com or by using the online transfer system available via Employee Self Services.
Sign up and be notified of the latest information and updates on the rural and remote benefits and incentives.
Benefits and incentives
Learn more about the specific financial benefits available across a range of rural and remote NSW destinations.
Hear from teachers who have chosen careers in rural and remote destinations.
Get answers to your questions about teaching in rural and remote schools.
For more information regarding rural and remote benefits and incentives please contact EdConnect.
- Existing employees of the department, phone 1300 32 32 32 (select option 3) or log an online query.
- New applicants to the department, phone 1300 30 04 98.