Find out if you're eligible to apply for the Sponsored Training Education Program. To apply, you will need to:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- be an approved teacher with a minimum of two years full-time equivalent teaching experience (note: a recommendation from your principal and two referees is required as part of the application process)
- be one of the following:
- enrolled in and committed to completing further study in either mathematics, physics, technological and applied studies (TAS) or special education. Your studies will need to meet the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) academic requirements for employment as a mathematics, science (with physics) or TAS teacher
- recommended for an ESL position following merit selection or permanently appointed to an ESL teaching position and be currently undertaking an approved postgraduate qualification in TESOL
- recommended for a careers adviser position following merit selection or permanently appointed as a careers adviser and currently undertaking an approved postgraduate qualification in career advising
- be recommended for a teacher librarian position following merit selection or permanently appointed as a teacher librarian and currently undertaking an approved postgraduate qualification in teacher librarianship.
- be willing to enter into a Deed of Agreement (PDF 233 KB), a legally binding agreement that outlines the responsibilities of both the sponsorship recipient and the department. The agreement also states the duration of the sponsorship as no more than double the minimum length of time required to complete the nominated course of study
- be willing to accept appointment as a permanent full-time teacher to a NSW public school in a geographic area of workforce need (i.e. western and south-western Sydney, and rural or remote NSW) on completion of your studies for a minimum period of three years (or two years in identified schools).