Through psychology sponsorship, approved teachers are supported to complete a three year sequence of Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) approved psychology studies over one or two years before commencing the Rural school counsellor sponsorship or the Metro school counsellor sponsorship.
Psychology sponsorship recipients get:
- reimbursement of compulsory university fees for approved second and/or third year psychology subjects from commencement of the sponsorship
- reimbursement of university-based accommodation expenses to attend compulsory university residential sessions and examinations where overnight accommodation is necessary
- entry into the Rural school counsellor sponsorship or the Metro school counsellor sponsorship on successful completion of the three year sequence of APAC approved psychology studies
- a permanent school counsellor position in a NSW public school on completion of the Rural school counsellor sponsorship or the Metro school counsellor sponsorship.
To apply, you will need to:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- hold a current NSW driver's licence
- be an approved teacher with the NSW Department of Education
- have, within the last ten years, completed a minimum of two first year level psychology units that form part of an APAC approved sequence of study, with credit
- be committed to completing a three year sequence of APAC approved psychology studies before commencing the Rural School Counsellor Sponsorship or the Metro School Counsellor Sponsorship
- be willing to accept an appointment as a permanent full time school counsellor in a NSW public school in an agreed location on completion of the Rural School Counsellor Sponsorship or the Metro School Counsellor Sponsorship for a minimum period of two years.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to select either 'Anywhere in the State' or individual school education areas where you would like to be appointed on completion of your studies.
If you select to be appointed 'Anywhere in the State', you are agreeing to be appointed to a school in one of the following school education areas: Albury, Armidale, Bankstown, Batemans Bay, Bathurst, Blacktown, Bondi, Bourke, Broken Hill, Campbelltown, Central Coast, Clarence/Coffs Harbour, Deniliquin, Dubbo, Fairfield, Granville, Griffith, Hornsby, Lake Macquarie, Lismore, Liverpool, Maitland, Moree, Mount Druitt, Muswellbrook, Newcastle, Northern Beaches, Orange, Parramatta, Penrith, Port Jackson, Port Macquarie, Queanbeyan, Ryde, Shellharbour, St George, Sutherland, Tamworth, Taree, Tweed Heads/Ballina, Wagga Wagga, Windsor, Wollongong.
If you wish to select a minimum of three or more individual school education areas, you may choose to select from either Sydney metropolitan areas of workforce need and/or rural or remote NSW areas of workforce need.
The metropolitan areas where teachers are in high demand are Bankstown, Blacktown, Campbelltown, Fairfield, Granville, Liverpool, Mount Druitt, Parramatta, Penrith and Windsor.
The rural or remote NSW areas where teachers are in high demand are Albury, Armidale, Batemans Bay, Bathurst, Bourke, Broken Hill, Central Coast, Clarence/Coffs Harbour, Deniliquin, Dubbo, Griffith, Maitland, Moree, Muswellbrook, Orange, Port Macquarie, Queanbeyan, Tamworth, Taree and Wagga Wagga.
If you have questions that need answering, contact our sponsored training team via: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 300 634