Metro school counsellor sponsorship
Through the school counsellor metro sponsorship, approved teachers who have completed a three year sequence of Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) approved psychology studies with a minimum credit average are supported by the department to train for two years to become a school counsellor.
Metro school counsellors-in-training get:
- full-time teaching salary
- tuition fees paid for
- reimbursement of approved travel (where applicable)
- paid accommodation expenses to attend compulsory face-to-face sessions where overnight accommodation is necessary
- a general purpose allowance of $300
- awarded a Graduate Diploma in Psychology (School Counselling) from the University of Wollongong
- a permanent school counsellor position in a NSW public school in an area of workforce need.
To apply, you will need to:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- hold a current NSW driver's licence
- be an approved teacher with the NSW Department of Education for full time employment
- have, within the last ten years, completed a three year sequence of APAC approved psychology studies with a minimum credit average
- be willing to accept an appointment as a permanent full time school counsellor in a NSW public school in an agreed location on completion of your studies for a minimum period of two years.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to select either 'Anywhere in the State' or individual school education areas where you would like to be appointed on completion of your studies.
If you select to be appointed 'Anywhere in the State', you are agreeing to be appointed to a school in one of the following school education areas: Albury, Armidale, Bankstown, Batemans Bay, Bathurst, Blacktown, Bondi, Bourke, Broken Hill, Campbelltown, Central Coast, Clarence/Coffs Harbour, Deniliquin, Dubbo, Fairfield, Granville, Griffith, Hornsby, Lake Macquarie, Lismore, Liverpool, Maitland, Moree, Mount Druitt, Muswellbrook, Newcastle, Northern Beaches, Orange, Parramatta, Penrith, Port Jackson, Port Macquarie, Queanbeyan, Ryde, Shellharbour, St George, Sutherland, Tamworth, Taree, Tweed Heads/Ballina, Wagga Wagga, Windsor, Wollongong.
You may choose to select one school education area from the following list of priority rural or remote areas of workforce need: Bourke, Broken Hill, Deniliquin, Griffith, Moree, Orange, Queanbeyan and Taree.
You could also select a minimum of three or more individual school education areas, from either Sydney metropolitan areas of workforce need and/or rural or remote areas of workforce need.
The metropolitan areas of workforce need are Bankstown, Blacktown, Campbelltown, Fairfield, Granville, Liverpool, Mount Druitt, Parramatta, Penrith, Ryde and Windsor.
The rural or remote areas of workforce need are Albury, Armidale, Batemans Bay, Bathurst, Bourke, Broken Hill, Central Coast, Deniliquin, Dubbo, Griffith, Lake Macquarie, Lismore, Maitland, Moree, Muswellbrook, Newcastle, Orange, Port Macquarie, Queanbeyan, Shellharbour, Tamworth, Taree, Wagga Wagga and Wollongong.
Contact our Sponsored Training Team via firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 300 634.